Next Tuesday (5/22) we will not have a regular class meeting. Instead, you can use class time to complete the assignment below. You can, of course, do this at any time that is convenient for you. However, you need to share your completed reflection by the end of the day on Wed (5/23). Expect to spend around 3 hours on this.
It would be ideal if you had an opportunity to observe a good 21st century lesson in action. Unfortunately there are not may opportunities during the summer and there is no guarantee that what you would see would actually be 21st century. There are simply not many teachers who fully grasp this yet.
Fortunatley, I have some videos you can view. They were compiled by the Florida Dept of Education as part of their own efforts to retrain teachers for the 21st century. They developed a matrix not unlike the one from Porter but with things broken out a bit more. They also selected videos they felt exemplified each cell in the matrix.
Please view 2 videos of your choice from the lower end of the spectrum and 2 from the upper end. You may end up watching more than these 4 as you “shop around” for the ones you like. We will view a couple in class to help make the assignment more clear.
After selecting and viewing the 4 videos (you may want to watch them more than once), consider the following:
- How do teacher behaviors differ between lower and higher levels (literacy and transforming)? Give clear examples.
- How do student behaviors differ? Give clear examples.
- How does technology use differ? Give clear examples.
- Using what you know so far about effective 21st century teaching and technology integration, explain how one of lower level lessons could be improved to be more 21st century (tech may not be required and if not don’t add it).
- Using what you know so far about effective 21st century teaching and technology integration, explain how one of lower level lessons could be improved to use technology in a more transforming way.
- Discuss whether or not the upper level lessons truly fit as examples of good 21st century teaching and technology integration. Again, use clear examples.
Be sure to include links to the videos you chose. Write everything up in a Google Document and share it with me. Be succinct. Give enough info to make it clear but avoid being too verbose. Remember, I have to read it all 🙂 This is described in the syllabus as a 10 point assignment. Due to the level of work I think it would be more appropriate to make it worth 100 points.